Entries now open: Fi Europe Innovation Awards and Fi Global Startup Innovation Challenge to honour professionals and companies for demonstrating and stimulating innovation.
Amsterdam / The Netherlands – Once again this year, during Fi Europe co-located with Hi Europe at the beginning of December, show organizer Informa Markets will be recognizing companies and organizations for groundbreaking novelties in the Fi Europe Innovation Awards. These awards are regarded as the most prestigious in the food and beverage sector and honour innovators in nine categories based on the latest industry trends. The Fi Global Startup Innovation Challenge gives newcomers the opportunity to present their ideas to a broad professional audience. Entries for the Startup Innovation Challenge are open until 18 September, and, for the awards, until 25 September 2020.
A jury of industry experts, including company representatives, market analysts and trade journalists, will select the finalists for the Fi Europe Innovation Award. Those shortlisted will pitch to the eight-member jury led by Prof. Dr Colin Dennis, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF). Colin Dennis: “Innovation in the food industry is key to future success. Nutrition and health, along with topics such as sustainability, diversity and inclusivity, are now key issues for us all. The Fi Europe Innovation Awards recognise the many exciting developments in all of these areas. I can’t wait to see the latest novelties in 2020, as they perfectly illustrate the rapid pace of innovation in this sector.”
Three of the nine categories of the Fi Europe Innovation Awards are new, and include the People’s Choice Innovation Award:
- New: Health Innovation Award for the development of the best ingredient or application proven to contribute to digestive, cognitive, immune or physical health
- New: Sensory Innovation Award for an ingredient or process designed to enhance the sensory experience of food products
- New: People’s Choice Innovation Award chosen by show attendees from all finalists
- Future of Nutrition Award for contributing to and supporting pioneering ideas or innovative educational initiatives likely to positively impact the health and well-being of consumers in 5+ years’ time
- Clean Label & Natural Innovation Award for a clean label ingredient or process that improves sensory and physical properties or application costs
- Plant-based Innovation Award for a plant-based ingredient or application that improves sensory and physical properties or application costs
- Food Tech Innovation Award for an innovative technical processing/ manufacturing/packaging/waste reduction solution or service for food ingredients or finished products
- Sustainability Innovation Award for a measurable supply chain strategy that champions environmental, economic or socially sustainable practices in the F&B industry
- Diversity & Inclusion Innovation Award for creating a work environment that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their gender, race, religious background, sexual orientation or disabilities.
Preference will be given to entrants who have implemented this within the last two years.
Startup Innovation Challenge: an opportunity for young companies
The awards are aimed at newcomers to the industry (businesses that are no more than five years old) who have a clear business plan and a developed concept at the very least, with prototypes or the final product preferred.
The categories are:
- Most Innovative Food or Beverage Ingredient for ingredients or additives from an animal or plant source that improve sensory attributes such as taste, texture, smell and/or appearance
- Most Innovative Alternative Food or Beverage Ingredient for ingredients or additives from a novel non-animal/plant source
- Most Innovative Healthy Food or Beverage Ingredient for ingredients or additives from an animal/plant/alternative source that contribute to digestive, cognitive, immune or physical health, with a focus on natural and/or sustainable processes
- Most Innovative Process, Technology or Service Supporting F&B for innovations that improve food safety, efficacy, quality, traceability, transparency, ingredient sourcing, supply chain management or upcycling.
The Challenge finalists will have the opportunity to present their particular innovation in a live pitch to more than 1,175 exhibitors and 21,000+ visitors on December 1 and 2. The winners can choose between a fully-equipped exhibition stand at Fi Europe co-located with Hi Europe 2021, a digital promotion on the Fi Global Insights platform for one year, access to the innovation platform Conciergerie by Presans, a limited membership and fast track ticket to KitchenTown Berlin’s Accelerator Program, or intensive mentoring by one of the award partners – General Mills, as well as the life science-based innovations (lsbi) consultancy.
Dr Thorsten Brandau, President of BRACE GmbH, highly recommended in 2019, comments: “The Fi Europe Innovations Awards were the perfect possibility for us to compete with other companies, that are the best in their field. Receiving a High Commendation proved that we are innovative and recognized by our peers. It also motivated us to work harder, to satisfy the needs of the industry of tomorrow.”
Informa Markets is confident that the Fi Europe co-located with Hi Europe will take place as planned from 1-3 December at Messe Frankfurt, Germany, in accordance with Informa’s AllSecure health and safety standard. The show organizer is in close contact and constant consultation with the City of Frankfurt, the State of Hesse and Messe Frankfurt.